Rangapara College, offering courses from Higher Secondary to Post-graduation, started its journey from Rangapara Town Hall on 16thAugust, 1979. In the following year it was affiliated to Gauhati University (GU).The present campus, to where it was shifted in 1983, is spread over 40.33 acres (122 Bighas) of land. The college was brought under deficit grant-in-aid system from 1st January 1987, and was included under Section 2 (f) & 12 (B) of UGC Act, 1955 from 20th March 1996. On 8th August 1988, Commerce was introduced as a sanctioned department and the faculty was provincialized on 1st January 2013. In the year 2004 the College was accredited with B+ grade and again in 2011, the college was accredited ‘B’ grade by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC).
Another milestone of the College was the introduction of the Science stream by the Government of Assam, both in Higher Secondary and Undergraduate level, on 2nd November 2020. Since its inception, the expansion of the college has been phenomenal in terms of faculty strength, number of students and infrastructure. The Central College Library owns more than 30,000 books with a significant number of periodicals and journals. The institution is well-equipped with science laboratories, digital class rooms, seminar rooms, and meeting hall among others. Besides, the college has a Computer Centre, well-furnished Hostel Facilities for both Boys & Girls, Canteen, Gymnasium Hall, Indoor Sports Complex, Playground and a Shopping Complex.
Total UGC Academic Post (Sanctioned) : 51
Total Non-Teaching Post (Sanctioned) : 16
Contractual Teacher: 02
Part-time Teacher: 13
Contractual Non-Teaching Staff: 08
Part-time Non-Teaching Staff: 04
Home guard 03
Hostel Manual 06